Saturday, June 8, 2013

After Andrea rain



Nice to have the storm clouds pass.

Checked the vegetable beds.  The broccoli and onion seedlings seem fine, although I'm still glad I held back on getting in the rest of the onions, in favor of putting down more mulch. 

The second picture is the area with the potato seed.  Last year, I dug the potato trench across the slope, using a deep trench, and got flooded. This year, used a shallow trench with mulch, and ran it down a very slight slope.   There is no standing water over the potatoes this time. 

Almost all  the mulch we use is produced here, and sometimes the timing can get dicey.   There are times of the year when we have a lot of hay, and times we don't.   In spring, I like to do about 3 mowings in the lawn and equipment areas, and get past dandelion seed season, before collecting any grass clipping for the vegetable beds.

Just before this storm, I was trying to mow around the last of the dandelion seed heads, moving rather quickly.   I warned George that my mowing pattern might look a bit odd.

Just have to pretend that those remaining patches are fancy landscaping.

No comments:

Post a Comment