Friday, January 27, 2012

More mild weather: snow, sleet and ice

Winter came back spitting a mix of snow, sleet and ice.   The nearby University of Maine is shut down for the day.   Rain is in the forecast for this afternoon.

I like the way the front door mat looks after I drag a shovel across it to clear the doorway.

Another indicator of a mild winter so far -- the farm sign by the front door normally blows off a few times at the beginning of the season.  After a little cursing, it is brought in for the winter.  The sign is still there!

I just came inside from clearing the driveway and paths.   There isn't much snow, but I wanted to try to move some of it before the rain creates slush, and the evening turns the slush to ice.

I cut a gentle path up to the house, and to the barn.We use a small John Deere tractor and snow blower attachment.   I like that it can spread the snow thinly over a wide area, rather than making big snow plow mounds.  The area looks less disturbed and quieter.

I'm in a good mood because there wasn't much wind, and that wind was heading the right way, so I didn't get a snoot full of sleet from the blower.   Soaked hat and gloves are recovering by the wood stove.   Hot chocolate is calling.

2 comments: