Sunday, January 29, 2012

Bears

April 2012 note:  the bears have left the den, and moved on with their lives.   Maybe IF&W will be able to do something like this in the future.   That would be lovely.

Entry:

It is worth checking watching and listening to the mother bear in her den with her two cubs, born January 16th (courtesy a live streaming web cam placed by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife (IF&W)):  http://bangordailynews.com/link/watch-mama-bear-lugnut-and-her-cubs/

The mother bear is often sleeping, but she might be waking up a bit and checking on the cubs.    I find the sounds more fascinating than the video.  The first time I watched, she was making a sound that, to me, was very similar to a sound our old coon cat makes when he is sleeping, snoring and content.  I can't help but think it is soothing to the cubs.   She makes other gentle sounds too.  When I think of bears, I tend to think of the frightening one that tried to get into a friend's barn, or the ones I was warned about avoiding as a child.   I feel differently now.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! How interesting and cool that is! I see they've moved on for the spring though, now. Very neat.

    ~Dani

    ReplyDelete