Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bare ground January day

I enjoy January thaws, as long as nothing floods too badly.   But, seeing bare ground like this the third week in January, when we've had little snow so far, seems very odd.

I walked around to take pictures and document conditions, which I don't normally get to do this time of year.   They will help me to plan for fixing things when the weather warms up.   I am grateful this board fencing behind the sheep is still standing.   Only a matter of time until it comes down, and I need to get something in the budget for replacement materials.

Also in the picture are the three ancient sheep.   It is not commercial to keep old sheep around and I forever feel guilty but, well, at this point they are here for good if I can help it.   At least they don't cost much to keep, since we put up our own hay.  It wouldn't feel as much like home without at least some sheep around.  These are descended from the first two shetland/finn cross ewes I ever owned.

The green patch in the picture below is the "new" garden plot that was started last year.   I turned in a lot of aged horse manure, planted to buckwheat and turned in, then planted to winter rye that will be turned in, along with lime, this spring.   Started with basic clay, so it pretty much needs almost everything.   I'll probably be imprudent and plant something here this year, and see how it goes. Lots of happy weeds are expected.

Another "new plot" that just barely got started last fall is beyond the fence, in the old pasture.   Last fall I skimmed it with the cultivator, and piled on aged horse manure and grass clippings.   It grew up in mowed pasture plants before winter, which will hold the soil.    This year, it will likely get turned over deeper, have more inputs added, and be planted to green manure for the season.   

I haven't figured out where to start the "next" plot yet but...probably it will be in the old pasture too. I'm trying to expand the area in vegetables a bit each year:  more food for family; more food for community.


No comments:

Post a Comment