Monday, August 6, 2012

Mid summer

It is that lovely time of summery when things are coming too fast in the garden for me to keep up.

I hurt my leg, then my back.   The jungle weeds took advantage of almost two weeks of inattention to try to take over the world.   Hey, I'm talking about 4 foot tall weeds here.

I've put around 10 packages of blanched beans into the freezer, and there are two more rows that need picking today.   More beans will be coming along later.    The broccoli is also heading out now, and needs to be steamed and frozen.   I very much like broccoli with melted cheddar cheese on top for lunch in the winter.

I've started making huge piles of weeds in various open spots in the garden.   I may haul them out later, or just turn them where they lie.   I worked on clearing weeds around the pumpkin plants this morning, starting with the good-eating pumpkins.   The  pumpkin plants probably would have been happy growing up and over the weeds, but I don't want all those weeds to go to seed in the garden.

If they all go to seed....next year the weeds may slip in our back door....at night....and crawl up the staircase, and grab us in our beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment