Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April: seedlings and sinking

Last year, I tried using a small greenhouse on the property for some seedlings, but they didn't get enough light and did poorly.  I hadn't thought much more about using the greenhouse since.  Then, I read somewhere that one could add lights.  Not sure why it took me so long to figure this out.

Now we have some lights in the greenhouse, and I'm enjoying trying to figure out how to add more.   The onion seedlings have been moved there, and seem quite happy.  The broccoli seedlings may go out there soon too.

The tomatoes have been started.   The picture above is of some of the seedling flat labels that I've been making on the kitchen table.

On the "uh oh" side of things, our tiller is slowly sinking.   We parked it in a new location last winter, and put it up on blocks as usual.  Unfortunately, the ground has shifted with the frost, and gone soft, so that the tiller is sinking pretty dramatically, and turning over gradually.  I don't want to try to move it yet, given how soft the ground is so...I check it from time to time and worry over it.

Our old truck went in for inspection and needs LOTS of work.   If it isn't one thing, it is another.  Pretty labels though, huh?  Got to like those labels.   Lining them up gives me a sense of control.   :)

Later added note:  George came home toward the end of the day, and I asked him for a second opinion on the tiller.   He said he isn't worried.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree that putting things in order like that makes me feel more in control of a chaotic world. Phew!

    Great work, I'm really excited to see how your Spring progress goes!

    ~Dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be such a thing to worry about with such a big object to move! Glad George eased your mind a bit though!

    I love the labels!

    ~Melinda

    ReplyDelete